Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Manga Classics: Pride and Prejudice by Stacy King, Po Tse, & Jane Austen

Final Rating: 4/5 Stars

Pages: 377
Edition: Adobe Digital Edition
Time Read: 10.15.14 - 10.15.14

Summary:
"Beloved by millions the world over, Pride & Prejudice is delightfully transformed in this bold, new manga adaptation. All of the joy, heartache, and romance of Jane Austen's original, perfectly illuminated by the sumptuous art of manga-ka Po Tse, and faithfully adapted by Stacy E. King."

Review:
If you loved Pride and Prejudice, you will likely enjoy this graphic novel. If you liked Pride and Prejudice but thought the story dragged on or was uninteresting at some parts, I recommend you give this a try still. If you read Pride and Prejudice solely for its social commentary, I recommend passing on this.

It's hard for me to comment specifically on the story, as it wasn't written by the author; merely rearranged.

The artwork was beautiful. While I feel like Darcy always looked a little on the crazy side, all other character's appearances were incredibly accurate, and changed slightly to fit more with the personality. For example, Darcy is tall and dark and brooding all the time: he looks like he acts! Mr. Collins is a real hoot in this graphic novel as well.

The biggest reason I cannot give this a 5/5 is because this feels more like an abridged version of Pride and Prejudice. There are events that are changed either slightly or significantly, or are left out altogether. I can think of multiple times where I was waiting for some memorable quote to be said, or an important event to occur, and being disappointed when it didn't actually happen.

Elizabeth's personality is also a bit weaker than I would have liked; I wanted a more headstrong and sassy woman than what I got. Their portayal of her at the end, however, was one that I could really appreciate.

Overall, this is a simple graphic novel that might be a great read for a fan of Pride and Prejudice who wants a little different take on the whole situation.

I was given this book for free by the author for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment