Saturday, November 15, 2014

No More Heroes by Nicholas Chapman

Final Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Pages: 400
Edition: Kindle
Time Read: 10.17.14 - 11.15.14

Summary:
"Stories are meant to be told.

But many stories go unfinished, unpublished and unread. What happens to the characters in those books when nobody reads them? Where do they go?

In a city populated by these forgotten literary denizens, Jack Reynolds works as a member of an ancient order called “The Heroes,” who are charged with defeating villainy and maintaining order. Alongside an immortal humanoid computer and a knight from a children’s tale, Jack must solve a case by the end of the week or his division will be permanently closed.

After stumbling across a case of illegal magic which threatens the safety of the entire city, Jack also realizes that solving this mystery is the only way he can do right by his friends. With time and veiled forces aligned against him, does Jack have what it takes to be a Hero one last time?
"

Review:
This book was wonderful.

The plot is incredibly unique, and I can guarantee I've never read a book like this and I doubt I will read a book that is closely similar to it that wouldn't be a complete copy. The writing in it is so smooth, it was easy to flip from page to page without even realizing it. Every time I read it, I was drawn into the world and forced to pull myself away due to some other obligation. There really was no part in this book that I felt dragged on. Even in the beginning, it was easy to want to keep reading and see what happens next.

Jack was an easily likeable character to me. He wasn't some elite super God-like man who could do everything and always be amazing. He was a normal guy with virtues and flaws who sometimes made the right decisions and sometimes made the wrong ones. It was easy to relate to him throughout the story (however, I could never dream of being as badass as he is!), and I rooted for him the entire time. Presley and Ludwig are absolutely wonderful companions. Their characters are well defined, and it was easy to picture them as real people was well.

My only issues with this book are the grammatical errors (there are a few of them) and the slight holes in background information. If his relationship with Gwen had more backstory to it I would be content, but I feel like there's not really a reason for Gwen to hate Jack. I have a theory, but I can't be sure. My issue with his relationship with Rose is that there's not much of a development with it and I don't see a clear definition of WHAT they are. There are hints here and there, just like between Gwen and him, but never a clear answer. I wanted to know more about Jack's Story before Asphodel, but there was really only hints about his demons and past towards the middle and end of the book.

Overall, I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy, and even those who just like a good book in general. I feel like this book would hold appeal to a wide variety of people as it does not fit one single mold for genres.

I was given this book for free by the author for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment