Wednesday, June 3, 2015

A Dress the Color of Dusk (Regency Rhapsody #5) by Elizabeth Cole

Final Rating: 3/5 Stars
Pages: 90
Edition: Kindle
Time Read: 06.02.15-06.03.15



Let me start this review by saying that I love the regency era. Pride & Prejudice is one of my all-time favorite books, and so I had high standards for this story to reach. Unfortunately, it didn’t quite hit the mark with me. That’s not me saying that I hated the book or that it was bad.  It just means that I was expecting Jane Austen quality work and didn’t see it.

I’m not a fan of the writing style because it doesn’t feel authentic. While I am woefully aware that not living and speaking and experiencing the regency era makes it difficult to write like it, I still can’t help but be a little disappointed by the fact that the book reads like a modern story.  There are spots where it feels like an authentic piece from years long past, and there are times where I am completely withdrawn from the story by a certain word or phrase. 

I’m not a fan of the romance between the two main characters, which is really upsetting.  They were awkward together, shy around each other, and then in love with each other.  I really wish it took longer than a few weeks and seeing each other less than 10 times to fall in love, but then again, I’m a relatively progressive thinker.  

I was a fan of Verity due to the weight of her situation resting on her shoulders and the grace she carried with it, and also because she was super awkward and I can totally relate to it. Verity felt like a real person who was trying her hardest to get by with what she was given and I can appreciate that. 

I was not as big of a fan of Duncan, who had a nasty temper that he did not even seem to try to keep together.  When he got mad, he got mad and everyone knew about it.   It seemed like he was supposed to be the tragic hero but I really didn’t feel anything other than annoyance at his attitude.

The bond between Rosie and Verity is my favorite part of the book. Having two sisters, I know what it’s like to be a mother and a sister and the same time. It is so hard to find the proper balance and I think Cole really shows it nicely.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment